UPDATE: June 24, 2020
Thank you for taking the time to learn more about how we, the team members at the Old House Hotel & Spa, are addressing the COVID-19 virus challenge.
First, we want to recognize all those who have been affected by the virus. Our hearts are with those who remain ill or who have lost a loved one. Likewise, we are ever-grateful for the amazing efforts of our health care workers.
While this pandemic continues to present all of us, daily, with new challenges, we are clearly focused on health and safety first. Our guests, staff and community are all deserving of our very best effort, and we hope your trust in our team remains strong.
We continue to closely follow our local, provincial and federal health authority guidelines. These include those set forth by British Columbia Provincial Officer Dr. Bonnie Henry, The BC Center for Disease Control; the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Control and Prevention (CDC), the Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC) as well as our world and local health organizations and hotel associations.
We understand that you might have questions regarding your travel at this time, and we are available to answer them to the best of our ability.
Hotel Items: Here are some things you should know regarding your travel to the Old House Hotel & Spa:
- Our Hotel is open and remains your “home away from home.” Physical distancing is possible given that we are located a safe distance from other residences and businesses. Situated along the scenic Courtenay Estuary, our Hotel buildings are close to a beautiful walking trail, perfect for observing wildlife. The majority of our suites have opening doors and/or windows, whereby we are able to maintain a fresh and filtered air flow. Kitchenettes allow for fun dining experiences (take-out or home cooking) in your room or on your deck, and washing machines and dryers also are available.
- Ohspa is open with a carefully designed menu of services. We have created protocols that create a safe experience for our professionals and our guests which include personal protective gear, limited flow throughout the spa and close attention to physical distancing. Currently, Ohspa is open Tuesday – Saturday, 9:30 am – 6 pm. EasyShop is Ohspa’s retail outlet, where you can call in your order and safely pick it up or browse safely at your leisure. It is open during spa service hours as well as Sunday and Monday, 10am – 4 pm. Please visit the Ohspa website here, for more information.
- The Fitness Centre is available by reservation. Our team will clean the facility prior to every booking.
- Our outdoor heated pool and hot tub are open as is our indoor heated hot tub. They are operated in accordance with maximum occupant levels and safe physical distancing protocols.
- Locals Restaurant, our four-star dining partner, is open with plenty of outdoor seating making them the restaurant with the largest outdoor seating capacity in the Valley. Much has been done to secure your safety, for instance: entrance/exit pathways have been redesigned, beautiful glass panels have been installed between tables, and staff personal protection equipment will be worn.
- Housekeeping staff will not be permitted to enter your hotel room during your stay to minimize contact. Fresh linens and towels are available upon request.
- While thorough cleaning operations throughout the Hotel are standard operating procedure, we have further intensified our cleaning/sanitizing efforts throughout the Hotel. (Please see itemized protocols below.)
- Check-out is safe and convenient! Just press “0” from your guest phone or call: 250-703-0202. Leave your keys in your guest room, and we will email your receipt.
- Global travel restrictions are still in place, so international travelers wanting to visit BC will have to postpone their trip if not considered “essential” business.
Notice to All Guests: We’d like to ask the following of you, in order to ensure your safety as well as that of our other guests.
- Please wear a mask while utilizing our indoor public spaces.
- Please observe the protocols for managing COVID-19: Wash your hands for at least 20 seconds; monitor your health; observe physical distancing; shield your cough; do not take any unnecessary risks; and consider the well-being of others as you limit your exposure.
- Pet friendliness. We are happy to continue to host your pet; however, please do not pet others’ pets, as cute as they might be.
- Be mindful of other guests by maintaining a distance of at least 2 metres (6 feet) from other guests.
- Elevator capacity has been reduced to promote physical distancing.
- If you become ill and have recently visited us, please let us know so appropriate measures can be taken.
- If you are experiencing symptoms of illness (fever, trouble breathing, coughing, sore throat, fatigue) please postpone your visit until you are well.
- If you are in contact with someone who has travelled to a high-risk area in the last 14 days or if they have travelled outside Canada in the past 14 days, please make your reservation for at least two weeks later.
We look forward to the day when this enormous challenge is behind us, but until then, we will continue to do what’s needed for the world, our country and our community.
We will continue to stay connected with you on Facebook and Instagram. Finally, should you have any questions regarding your stay or our operations, please do not hesitate to call us 24/7 at 250-703-0202.
We look forward to welcoming you safely back.
David Rooper, cha/General Manager and the Old House Hotel & Spa Team
Cleaning/Safety Protocols to Ensure Your Safety
The following are some of the key protocols to ensure a clean and safe environment:
– Hand sanitizer, tissues and wastebaskets available for all hotel guests
– Regularly sanitizing of the Front Desk, public areas, and elevators
– Disinfecting all room keys when returned, as well as all keypads after each use
– Adding signage throughout the hotel reminding guests and staff of how to protect themselves and prevent the spread of illness
– A full deep-cleaning of each room after each guest
– Professionally laundered (sterilized) sheets, towels, etc.
– 3-hour vacancy of rooms prior to room assignment
– Team has been provided with additional training, cleaning supplies, masks and gloves.
– Team must complete the COVID-19 symptom pre-screening and will not enter the property if exhibiting flu-like symptoms.