UPDATE: January 11, 2021
Thank you for taking the time to learn more about how we, the team members at the Old House Hotel & Spa, are addressing the COVID-19 virus challenge.
First, we want to recognize all those who have been and continue to be affected by the virus. Our hearts are with those who remain ill or who have lost a loved one. Likewise, we are ever-grateful for the amazing efforts of our health care workers.
Please be aware of the recent Provincial Health Order:
By order and direction of the Provincial Health Officer (PHO), all events and social gatherings are suspended to significantly reduce COVID-19 transmission related to social interactions and travel.
The order is in effect now through February 5th, 2021 at midnight.
Essentially, Dr. Bonnie has asked residents of BC and beyond to avoid travel, limit our home gatherings and to stay within our communities and support our local businesses. We’re all in this together and encourage all of us to do our part by following Provincial Health Orders and recommendations, and support local tourism businesses.
While this pandemic continues to present all of us, daily, with new challenges, we are clearly focused on health and safety first. Our guests, staff and community are all deserving of our very best effort, and we hope your trust in our team remains strong. We continue to closely follow our local, provincial and federal health authority guidelines. These include those set forth by British Columbia Provincial Officer Dr. Bonnie Henry, The BC Center for Disease Control; the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Control and Prevention (CDC), the Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC) as well as our world and local health organizations and hotel associations.
Designated an essential business from the start of the pandemic, the Old House Hotel has remained open, offering privacy, physical distancing, in-suite dining and industry-leading covid-19 protocols to those in search of a safe “home away from home.”
Following the immense confusion surrounding formal meetings and the recent Public Health Order (PHO), it has been updated to allow “critical service meetings” and “occupational training which cannot be provided virtually.” To that end, the Old House will continue to host meetings for groups of 12 attendees or less that fit the above designations.
We will continue to provide, to the best of our ability, the highest standard of thoughtful, friendly and safe hospitality. We realize these changes may pose some questions, so please don’t hesitate to contact us.
Hotel Items: Here are some things you should know regarding your travel to the Old House Hotel & Spa:
- Our Hotel is open for those who must travel and remains your private, safe “home away from home.” Physical distancing is possible given that we are located a safe distance from other residences and businesses. Situated along the scenic Courtenay Estuary, our Hotel buildings are close to a beautiful walking trail, perfect for observing wildlife. The majority of our suites have opening doors and/or windows, whereby we are able to maintain a fresh and filtered air flow. Kitchenettes allow for fun dining experiences (take-out or home cooking) in your room or on your deck, and washing machines and dryers also are available.
- Ohspa is open for product purchases only. With the exception of RMT massage treatments which we consider an essential spa service for those experiencing pain or requiring ongoing therapy, we have temporarily suspended our treatment/services until further notice. We will assess our reopening date as the weeks progress and future orders are issued from Dr. Bonnie Henry and her team. Ohspa now offers a stocked EasyShop well worth visiting. It’s a safe way to shop among our favourite, local and world renown, organic skin care and bath product lines, for friends and family or to enjoy while you’re staying with us. Ohspa EasyShop hours are M-F: 10-6, Wknds: 10-4, closed on all holidays. Please visit the Ohspa website here, for more information.
- The Fitness Centre is available by reservation. Our team will clean the facility prior to every booking.
- Our outdoor heated pool and hot tub are open as is our indoor heated hot tub. They are operated in accordance with maximum occupant levels and safe physical distancing protocols.
- Locals Restaurant, our four-star dining partner, is open with plenty of distanced seating, and protective equipment is worn by the staff. Much has been done to secure your safety, for instance: entrance/exit pathways have been redesigned, beautiful glass panels have been installed between tables, and staff personal protection equipment will be worn.
- Housekeeping staff will not be permitted to enter your hotel room during your stay to minimize contact. Fresh linens and towels as well as garbage/recycling pick up are available upon request.
- While thorough cleaning operations throughout the Hotel are standard operating procedure, we have further intensified our cleaning/sanitizing efforts throughout the Hotel. (Please see itemized protocols below.)
- Check-out is safe and convenient! Just press “0” from your guest phone or call: 250-703-0202. Leave your keys in your guest room, and we will email your receipt.
- Global travel restrictions are still in place, so international travelers wanting to visit BC will have to postpone their trip if not considered “essential” business.
Notice to All Guests: We’d like to ask the following of you, in order to ensure your safety as well as that of our other guests.
- By Provinical Order, you must please wear a mask while utilizing our indoor public spaces.
- Please observe the protocols for managing COVID-19: Wash your hands for at least 20 seconds; monitor your health; observe physical distancing; shield your cough; do not take any unnecessary risks; and consider the well-being of others as you limit your exposure.
- Pet friendliness. We are happy to continue to host your pet; however, please do not pet others’ pets, as cute as they might be.
- Be mindful of other guests by maintaining a distance of at least 2 metres (6 feet) from other guests.
- Elevator capacity has been reduced to promote physical distancing.
- If you become ill and have recently visited us, please let us know so appropriate measures can be taken.
- If you are experiencing symptoms of illness (fever, trouble breathing, coughing, sore throat, fatigue) please postpone your visit until you are well.
- If you are in contact with someone who has travelled to a high-risk area in the last 14 days or if they have travelled outside Canada in the past 14 days, please make your reservation for at least two weeks later.
We look forward to the day when this enormous challenge is behind us, but until then, we will continue to do what’s needed for the world, our country and our community.
We will continue to stay connected with you on Facebook and Instagram. Finally, should you have any questions regarding your stay or our operations, please do not hesitate to call us 24/7 at 250-703-0202.
We look forward to welcoming you safely back.
David Rooper, cha/General Manager and the Old House Hotel & Spa Team
Cleaning/Safety Protocols to Ensure Your Safety
The following are some of the key protocols to ensure a clean and safe environment:
– Hand sanitizer, tissues and wastebaskets available for all hotel guests
– Regularly sanitizing of the Front Desk, public areas, and elevators
– Disinfecting all room keys when returned, as well as all keypads after each use
– Adding signage throughout the hotel reminding guests and staff of how to protect themselves and prevent the spread of illness
– A full deep-cleaning of each room after each guest
– Professionally laundered (sterilized) sheets, towels, etc.
– 3-hour vacancy of rooms prior to room assignment
– Team has been provided with additional training, cleaning supplies, masks and gloves.
– Team must complete the COVID-19 symptom pre-screening and will not enter the property if exhibiting flu-like symptoms.